Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Elect Experience

     Experience is the best teacher.
     I have over twenty years of experience serving our schools and school district in various volunteer positions. Besides working on the campus improvement teams of three schools, I have also been part of the PTA and a volunteer at various school fund raisers and student activities.
     Over the past eight years, I have served on more than a dozen district level committees, including Strategic Planning (twice) and the ill-advised Focus School. Through my work, Deer Valley High School earned well deserved recognition for a 30-year program of environmental teaching as they were recognized as the first K-12 school in the state by the Valley Forward Association in 28-years of presenting environmental awards.
     And, I attended the first five DV University programs, designed to teach community members, staff and parents on how the school district works. I went more than eight years without missing a single board meeting. Everyone knows about Deer Valley Support Our Schools and the massive fund raising for our schools that I did.
     I have developed a plan to expand and improve career and technical education for our students. I am proud of my involvement in Deer Valley finally committing to graduating every student.
     At the state level, I have participated in the Arizona School Boards Association Law Conference every year since 2002. Through that activity, I have a grounded understanding in Arizona education law and open meeting requirements. In addition, I have testified before the state legislature about education issues. A copy of Title 15 (Arizona Education Law) sits on my desk for frequent reference.
     We have to make a choice for the future of our schools on November 2. Vote for experience. Vote for those who have been leading the fight for so many years. With your vote, we can have integrity, leadership and experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend, you will be missed, but you will never be forgotten. May you be at rest in the arms of our loving God and may you work on the on-going education system in Heaven.